President Vincent E. Price
Provost Sally Kornbluth
The Commitment began as a call to action by Duke University President Vincent E. Price and Provost Sally Kornbluth to mobilize the resources of the entire university to combat the growing climate crisis. In September 2020, President Price charged the Board of Trustees’ Strategic Task Force on Climate Change and Sustainability to determine how Duke could leverage its missions — education, research, operations, community partnerships, and external engagement — to effect positive, lasting impact toward a sustainable future.
Groups including more than 50 faculty and staff worked to identify the Duke’s comparative research strengths. This work provided the Duke Climate Commitment’s leadership with a path forward and a set of focal areas where we can create distinctive, impactful climate solutions.
Three leaders from across campus primarily oversee the work of the Duke Climate Commitment:
Toddi Steelman, Ph.D. ’96
Stanback Dean, Nicholas School of the Environment
Interim Director of the Nicholas Institute for Energy, Environment, and Sustainability
Executive Director of Climate and Sustainability, Sustainable Duke
The Climate Advisory Council provides feedback and direction. The Council is comprised of the following Institution-level leadership:
- Gary G. Bennett, Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education
- Edward Balleisen, Vice Provost for Interdisciplinary Studies
- Chris Clarke, Associate Vice President, Duke Campaigns
- Daniel Ennis, Executive Vice President
- Angela Greenwald, Assistant Vice President, Duke Campaigns
- Cam Kelly, Assistant Vice President for Principal Gifts
- David Kennedy, Vice President for Alumni Engagement and Development
- Hallie Knuffman, Chief of Staff to the Provost
- Sally Kornbluth, Provost
- Erin Kramer, Associate Vice President, University Communications
- Tracey Temne, Associate Vice President for Marketing, Communications and Stewardship, Alumni Engagement and Development
- R. Sanders Williams, Vice President for Research and Innovation, Interim
- Stelfanie Williams, Vice President for Durham and Community Affairs
The Climate Action Team implements the vision of the Duke Climate Commitment. The Climate Action Team’s membership varies based on the needs and projects being enacted.
The Climate Commitment is growing and evolving, and as it does, we want to hear from you. Please fill out the form below and someone from the Climate Commitment will be in touch.